Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Baking in the Summer

Today's blog post has little to do with teaching because it's summer. I love being home with my three kids in the summer, even if they are teenagers now and hardly ever home. It is a perk of being a teacher. 

One of the other things I like about summer is baking. With work, sports, and home, I hardly ever have time to cook or bake during the school year. During the school year, as I read all the Facebook posts from friends, I share many recipes so that they will be saved on my timeline for a future date. I decided today was one of those future dates. I wanted to make some desserts for the 4th, but wanted a variety - not just one. So I went back into my timeline and found some yummies to bake today. 

First up, Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Poke Cake from the Six Sisters Stuff blog.   http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2014/06/reeses-peanut-butter-poke-cake.html 
I have not yet tried an entire piece, but the peanut butter layer that is under the cool whip is pure heaven. Overall, the recipe was easy to follow and turned out well.  I will say, however, this cake was not cheap to make.



Next I made Salted Caramel Pretzel Crust Brownies from Living Well Spending Less. http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/2013/09/18/salted-caramel-pretzel-crust-brownies/
These were also easy to make but I think I want to fiddle around with this recipe in the future. I really wanted the pretzel crust to be crunchy, but it wasn't.  Also, my caramel sunk into my brownies. I may have needed to heat it up further to make it thinner so it would float on top of the brownie batter.   Finally, these needed to cook about 10 minutes longer than the recipe said. They just weren't getting cooked in the center.



Finally, I made my brother-in-law's favorite cookie since we are going to my sister's tomorrow. I made Oatmeal Scotchies.  Not a Facebook recipe, but definitely a childhood favorite. 



On Sunday, I plan to make Cake Batter Cinnamon Rolls. Kindergarten Smorgasboard's Greg Smedley shared them on his blog which I saw on Facebook. http://www.thekindergartensmorgasboard.com/2014/06/a-kindergarten-smorgasboard-tasty-treat_24.html?m=1

My kids cannot wait!

Happy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment